Google
Jah Jah Dub

Thursday, December 29, 2005

parenthetically - some notes on G4's new album/span>

Bless you James, bless you. I was eyeing the G4 album the other day, thinking on how extraordinary it was that I hadn't already bought it. You did it for me, you special special boy.


G4 and Friends




Barcelona

Karaoke backing track so far, nothing much to report.

And there's that voice. The voice that can only be described as "Jonathon from G4".

Ah! The big "Barcelona!" moment!

My, isn't this overblown and underwhelming at the same time? Arpeggio from Lesley there, drums, string... One last barca... and we're done.


Yellow

The one they're already calling this album's Creep! You wouldn't recognise this from the intro. Restrained. Apart from the orchestra. Nice cod-American, "for you I BLEED myself DRY!"


When a child is born.

Alright, but I'm about five days too late for this. It's very nice and everything, but not the time. NEXT!


Fever

No, not that Fever! No! It can't be... It is! It IS! Oh joyous day! Sultry boys, sultry! You give me fever. Or chills. Or the sweats. One of them.

If the lead vocal was dropped it'd be alright - the sound of some black tramps singing around a burning oil drum in an 80s film set around Christmas about the redemption of a yuppie.


Miss You Nights

This is with Cliff Richards - presumably this song has been designed for Guardian music journalists to mock. It's not awful, just pointless.


La donna e mobile


Oh yeah! Pah, pah pah pah pa paah! I know this. Heard it on an advert or something. I assume there are better versions.


Another day

Was really hoping this was Another Day in Paradise. Alas, it's a nondescript pop song. Not missing anything by skipping this one.


The Last Song

Again, some bollocks. Gasp! This must be checked: do G4 have any dread "writing credits" on this thing? Please no "original compostions". Oh, it's by Elton John. I've told you about my struggles with Elton John before.


You're the voice

Hopefully not three ropey ones in a row.

The intro is, dare I say it, funky for G4. Now a little twee. This is boring too. Don't do "proper" music, boys. What's the point? Christ, these lyrics are dreadful. Who wrote this tripe?

How long can we look at each other, down the BARREL OF A GUN? How long, indeed?


First of May

Sung with the least objectionable of the Gibbs, I don't see this one delivering.

No! When I was small, and Christmas trees were tall!

Brilliant! A hundred times!

Now we are tall, and Christmas trees are small!

Not even we've grown tall. You're spoiling me! I'm engorged with delight!

Dull.



The Wonder of You

Ah yes, that old Elvis song. Imagine G4 singing it. That's it.


I vow to hee, my country


Dead poet's society. I am the captain! No, I am the captain!

What's this tune? Oh yeah, Elgar. I've seen the advert.


Beautiful

X-tina? Please X-tina. Please X-tina...

YES! Fucking YES! They pulled it out of the fucking bag! It is the Aguilera song! There was me thinking there was nothing here. But they do it!

You ARE beautiful, Jonathan, with your little friendly vole face! I WILL NOT bring you down today, or any other day. Descending strings! Vocal breakdown! Jon's extrapolations! A very long held high note! Quite superb! This is possibly the quintessential G4 track!


Remember me?


Not really.

Don't have a good feeling about the next one.


Au Fond Temple Saint

They're singing away in foreign. Nice for them. Don't know this one; unsure if it's been used in an advert.


Conclusion: not a disappointment, my expectations were not sky-high. If you only get one G4 album, get the first. But this has its moments. Mainly their cover of Beautiful. And Yellow. And Fever. But as with 97.8% of all albums made in the last ten years, it's at least a quarter too long. Do they have another album in them? Rest assured, if they do, I'll be here, reviewing it. And that, my friends, ends this interruption. Soon I'll get these fucking books done and we can properly move on.

First G4 album reviewed here.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.