Google
Jah Jah Dub

Sunday, February 12, 2006

We've just been to Rye. This morning we took a walk on the marshes. The weather was terrible - my right ear went numb from the wind and rain. I was being punished for my city ways, the lashes penance: it was a purge, and a gentle reminder of nature's awesome power.

"I feel my culture slashed by shredding rain,
And in that icy squall I'm born again."


I started making a shopping list, of things I once had but had long since shed - gaiters, boots, waterproofs. I felt with fresh force the need to extend my experience beyond the delineations of hipster pursuits and broadsheet culture pages.

Basically, if you're looking for company on a walk, or someone to visit a church or nature reserve with, I'm in.

Yet I worry where this might lead. What if become some Ted Hughes/Melvyn Bragg type? What if I end up living in Cumbria or somewhere? Am I to go on walks with a staff, the wind blowing through whatever hair I have, spouting poetry, only stopping to point out the tracks of a stoat, or to declaim on dialect words or crag and tail?

I'm being dishonest with you and with myself: I would welcome such a future.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.