Google
Jah Jah Dub

Monday, December 05, 2005

A Midsummer Night’s Dream – William Shakespeare



I hardly did any Shakespeare at school, only Macbeth for GSCE. Ever since I’ve felt the prickly shame of inferiority when people talk about Julius Cesar, Romeo and Juliet and those other ones. As you may by now have sensed, my life is driven by an unsavoury combination of insecurity and arrogance. Piecemeal, I am trying to put together something resembling cultural knowledge. I will no longer be cowed by highfalutin scholars, puffed up with the Twelfth Night they did in Year 9.

So it’s pretty good anyway. Things one must never do when talking about a Shakespeare comedy:

1) Claim that it is too complex, playful and clever for the squares to understand.
2) Say how hilarious you find it.
3) Make a big deal about how unfunny it is.

Writing shallowly about Shakespeare, listening to A Hard Day’s Night. Could I be any more middlebrow?

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.