Google
Jah Jah Dub

Monday, December 05, 2005

The Captive/The Fugitive - Marcel Proust



Forgive me the occaisonal review where I say that something's good.

No one ever says they had a bad holiday. After the cost, and the effort, people will tend to accentuate the positives of the experience. Similarly, no one reads a 3000 page novel then claims it was a waste of time. I’m no exception: Prague was great and In Search of Lost Time is magnificent. If you’ll allow me to be precious, it is an extraordinary piece of art, and once I’d settled in I stopped thinking of it as a challenge to be overcome: it became a companion. Volume 4, Sodom and Gomorrah, is when it really kicks in and gets nicely seedy; but for me The Captive is the peak. The Fugitive is also great; you’re on the homestretch from there.

If you want to pretend you've read it, use “Proustian” to describe obsessive, suspicious, suffocating love – any talk of memory and madeleines reveals someone who has never made it past page 34.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.