Google
Jah Jah Dub

Friday, July 08, 2005

Are more flags flying today?

I can’t really imagine raising one myself, but I wouldn’t sneer at anyone who did. It’s not jingoistic - it is saying: this is who we are, we are proud of who we are, and we are together. I don’t think that anyone should have a problem with that. Think of it as a symbol of an open society if, like me, you’re not too keen on that whole “nationhood” thing.



Americans are comfortable with them. In fact, they are comfortable with ours. I wouldn’t be surprised if today there are more Union flags up in the USA than in Britain. Some (SWP, Ali, the usual) might see it as Uncle Sam patting his poodle. But I like it. I’m touched.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.