Google
Jah Jah Dub

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Jamie, in a comment on a post below, alerted me to this article about Melvyn Bragg. Sometimes I think I don’t rate Bragg as highly as I should. I admire his curiosity, and his interest in science, and yet… Perhaps it’s the media fawning over his polymath status… Mr Intellectual. Perhaps it’s his glaring vanity - it is surely disingenuous for a man in his sixties to sport such a pompadour and pretend that he doesn’t want it noticed. He never strikes me as particularly knowledgeable (unlike, say, Jonathan Miller) but he asks the questions a novice would ask. And that’s fine, as far as it goes. He gives nice introduction. I was listening to an archived In Our Time about Proust the other day – “Who nowadays has the time to read Proust,” he said. Well, anyone who wants to, Melvyn. That we now have Gameboys does not make books redundant. Ah, there I go, off on a tangent – back to work now after a week off (it was lovely, thank you) and listen to me babbling.

Oh, and “shamelessly brainy”? Who but a child would be ashamed of braininess?

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.