Google
Jah Jah Dub

Monday, June 27, 2005

I went to Dungeness today – an extraordinary place. We were in Kent, only an hour from London, but this was unfamiliar - like a New Mexico town abandoned when the nuclear testing roadshow has moved on. England has changed for me: my mental map has enlarged boundaries. I had never seen somewhere so ragged round here before. None of the houses had fences: they were gathered together, oblivious to municipal omnividence.



I recommend it. It is eerie but beguiling.



We checked out the local arcade, but with scant return: the shove-tuppeny machines were parsimonious; the ersatz equine-engagement was frugal.

However, Beef being suspiciously appraised by the arcade manager as he ponderously rode out his twenty pence on the mechanical horse is an image that will stay with me forever.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.