Google
Jah Jah Dub

Friday, April 29, 2005

Hey, it turns out theatre need not be shit!

I saw Shopping and Fucking when I was at college. Wasn’t in a hurry to get back in the saddle after that one; and at these prices?

So I went to see Don Carlos yesterday. Thankfully it’s at the end of its run - you probably can’t go now even if you wanted to - so I can praise it without feeling responsible for anyone’s good time. You know what? It was magnificent.

Just when I was beginning to think that nothing was ever *that* good, really, it came along and showed me that I can still be captured by something, that enjoyment need not be a removed, “yes, I can see what they’re doing there. Very Clever.” I’m not going to bother reviewing it - plenty of those about if you’re that interested. But there was a moment about twenty minutes in when Derek Jacobi and Richard Coyle (the one member of the cast of Coupling that you might save from a studio fire) were talking - and may the Lord have mercy on my sinner's soul for writing this – where it seemed as if the set evaporated: all artifice became invisible and I was there and this was happening.

Not for the whole thing, of course: just now and again, like.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.