Google
Jah Jah Dub

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I went to this last night. I know that the title is going to attract a certain crowd, but still… seems like I’m out of step. Most of the speakers were rubbish, of course.

Respect: I’d like to add a meaningless crowd-pleasing soundbite, if I may, but first I’ll obfuscate over what we actually do believe in and support. Oh, and Blair? B-liar, more like. B-liar!
Man from Spiked: I’m not voting at all. Why should I?

(Crowd silence.)

Liberal Democrat: Vote Liberal Democrat.
Johann Hari: Reasonable enough point, and although you might not agree with it, a falsifiable argument. Stuff about the war. Again.

The crowd was full of idiots too. Still, it was fun. It reminded me a lot of being at university and the student union meetings I used to go to. The standing, the drinking of a beer, the interminable speeches and complete poverty of intellectual rigour. Oh! To be young again! As usual, the "questions" were nothing of the sort, just an opportunity to take a Lefter-than-thou stance and impress chicks*.

Also, and I know this is tiresomely predictable, I find that my support for New Labour increases with each self-regarding nincompoop who jumps ship.


* Of course, as a right-thinking individual, I condemn sexism. Also, as luck would have it, I condemn homophobia and racism too. I think that they are bad things. It's ok, there's no need to congratulate me on my radicalism - with enough reading, you could get there too. So, I would never enforce patriarchy and sexualise and infantilise women by calling them "chicks". I am reclaiming the word and making it gender neutral. In this, and all future cases, "chicks" means "potential sexual (or not) partner of any gender or orientation". I know. I'm amazing.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.