Google
Jah Jah Dub

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Cantankerous old goat that he is, I do have some time for Luis Aragonés. But his latest comments invite a response:

I know who are the racists. I remember the colonies. I have a lot of black friends and I have fed black people at my table, in my house. They have explained to me that the English were after them in the colonies.

Hmmm… Let’s pass over the fact that this is completely incoherent (After them? What are you talking about?), it may have been badly translated. More pertinent is the established consensus that Britain must take the rap for all European imperialism. Everyone was at it, Britain just happened to be the best. However, it seems as if we are the only nationality which can admit to the less than proud moments of our history. And Luis, you’re on dangerous ground if you’re holding people today accountable for the actions of their ancestors: Spanish record in South America? Franco?

Update: Sid Lowe has some interesting stuff about the affair here.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.