Google
Jah Jah Dub

Friday, February 13, 2004

Went to see a mysterious recruitment consultant today in South Kensington. The office was on the ground floor of a house, and on entry I was greeted by a yapping Jack Russell. The secretary who showed me to the interview room bore more than a passing resemblance to the one who isn't Aggie in How Clean Is Your House. (Yes, Guardian readers, I do know that Aggie used to work for MI5/6) I was then kindly grilled by a nice woman of indeterminable ethnicity who seemed genuinely upset by my employment situation. ("But you have *so* much to give..." "Sure do," I didn't reply.)

- What do you want to do with your career?

- I don't know really... I don't want to work in sales... I'd rather work with words than numbers and I don't want a job which will control my life. The problem with an economics degree is that it pushes you towards finance. I’m not really interested in that, I find it hard to care about just making money for people and moving numbers around a screen.

- Right, right. That’s great. I have this job I'd like to put you forward for. It’s a young company, they deal with hedge funds. You know, shares? Blah, blah, blah, they need people to analyse market movements, research blah blah… if you get an interview you’ll have to dress up really smart, exude confidence and… blah blah…these people play to win… Do you want me to put you forward?

- … (sigh) ok.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.