Google
Jah Jah Dub

Thursday, January 29, 2004

Once I worked for Cambridge City Council. I was to conduct a survey of their housing stock. I needed to take a sample from each street/floor of a tower block and ask them what kind of heating they had.

Good points: I was unsupervised and only had to go to the office once a week. Therefore I never worked a morning AND an afternoon, never worked more than three days in a row, and never worked for more than two hours at a stretch. I managed to stretch it out to a couple of months, timesheeting it as thirty five hours a week. Eventually they became concerned at how long it was taking so I made up the rest of the results.

Bad points: Having to knock on doors all day. Every now and again having to deal with heroin addicts and mentals who thought I was a representative of the Man, come to check up on them. (Despite my trying to pick only the well kept houses in my "random sample.") Also, saying to my girlfriend-of-the-time that I was leaving to go to work and then nipping out, buying a paper and kicking back for the rest of the day was pretty harsh.

I was put in mind of this as I was going to do a top 5 worst jobs list, but my ambivalence about this one left me unsure where to place it.

That is all.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.