Google
Jah Jah Dub

Monday, October 20, 2003

S: How come you no have a girlfriend?
A: Ummmm. Because I don’t meet many girls.
S: You go out to clubs though, no?
A: Yeah, but I can never be bothered talking to girls there.
S: You are shy, no?
A: It’s more that I can’t be bothered with it. I mean, I go out for a good time, not to score. I’m quite happy being single, I don’t think I’d have the time for a girlfriend anyway. Plus, although I wouldn’t mind “seeing” someone I suppose, I don’t want the obligation of having to see someone x times a week, regardless of what we each wanted to do.
S: If I understand you correctly, you’re also saying that in our culture there is enormous pressure to be part of a couple, making people scared of being single.
A: Yes, that’s right. I’m not afraid of it, and feel that I’m happier without the obligation of going out with someone, or whatever other label you prefer to put on a sexual relationship.
S: That’s interesting. I always feel like I should be seeing someone or else I am incomplete.
A: But that’s crazy. You should make yourself feel complete and see people if and when you want to see them. Relying on someone else for your self worth is very unhealthy.
S: Hang on… this conversation didn’t actually take place did it?
A: No…
S: So you’re just putting words in my mouth to illustrate some broader point.
A: … yes.
S: Is that ethical do you think?
A: Well, no one who reads this will ever meet you, so I think it’s sound. At least, I *hope* that no one will meet you.
S: That’s all very well, but isn’t this idea copied from A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers?
A: It’s inspired by it… I don’t think that many people would have noticed.
S: But by telling them you’re having your cake and eating it?
A: Yes, exactly. And I’m breaking through the fourth wall at the same time.
S: I suppose you think this makes you look clever?
A: Ummm. Don’t know. I don’t think it makes me look stupid…
S: You’re insufferable. In fact, was this whole posting designed simply to get this conversation with yourself up? All that relationship stuff was an excuse, wasn't it?
A: Yes.
S: What a loser. So are we going to have more of this to look forward to?
A: I’m not sure yet, just experimenting.
S: I think this could be as annoying as those postings you did in the form of seventeen syllable haikus.
A: You may well be right.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.