Google
Jah Jah Dub

Friday, June 06, 2003

Four days until the next entry. That is lame. Didn't think I'd tire of this internet thing quite so fast. Don't judge me though, I have been thinking of things to write here, just keep forgetting to get around to it. Old news I know, but the first topic is Monday night's television between 20.00 and 21.00. Obviously I'm talking about "University Challenge: The Professionals". This week had a team of vicars against four commercial lawyers. Much as I don't like Jesus, there was clearly only one team to support, if only because the combined wages, some say stipends, of the clergy would add up to less than the salary of one of the lawyers. Now I may be paranoid, but I'm convinced that they make the questions easier for the grown ups. The music rounds in particular were a walk in the park. (Students in their early '20s have to know about opera, they needed to be familiar with Eric Clapton.) One set of questions was all about albums released in 1972. Stop it. (Answers: Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; something else; Neil Young.) They got none of them right. Of course, the lawyers got some paltry score like 55. ("Spend less time earning money and more time reading you filth!" Me, 20.47 Monday.) The moral of the story is, doesn't matter how much money you earn, if you care about a career , you are rubbish.

Now I feel I should say a few words about Bargain Hunt. Obviously David Dickinson is rubbish. If you like him then you are trying desperately too hard to be interesting. The programme used to be alright back when it first started and was shown at 11 o'clock in the mornings. Unfortunately, Dickinson realised that tedious students had made him into a folk-hero and it all became far too knowing. However......... I must say I enjoyed it on Monday, mainly because it was a drag queen special. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've seen drag queens before," you say, but not like these ones. They were easily the worst I've ever laid eyes on, looked completely unconvincing (not a problem in itself, but they didn't make up for it with glamour.) and their banter was painfully over-rehearsed. In short, I loved it. My only concern is where they go from here. Like introducing an invisible car into the latest (and worst) James Bond film, the producers have made a rod for their own backs. Why would James Bond take any other car on a mission if he has one which can turn invisible? If he uses the disappearing vehicle though then every chase will be short and boring. Similarly, how can Bargain Hunt top last week's episode? Pre-op transexuals? Dwarves? Giants? Tinkers?

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Jah Jah. Make your own badge here.